Good oral hygiene is a necessity for a healthy smile, but you can't brush and floss away a cavity. If your tooth is suffering from decay, cracks, or fractures, it is likely that you need a filling. Fortunately, Michelle H. Mottinger, DDS, PA in Greensboro, NC, is here to restore your teeth and keep you smiling.
Signs you may need a filling:
- Your tooth is painful or sensitive to hot or cold foods and liquids
- Chewing causes sharp pain in your tooth
- There is a visible hole in your tooth
- Dark discoloration of a single tooth
- Your tooth is chipped, broken, or has visible crack lines
- Food or dental floss becomes stuck or snagged on a specific tooth
- Your tooth is worn down from grinding your teeth
- A previous filling has fallen out
Why is a filling important?
If you have a cavity, a filling is crucial to ensure that decay from plaque and bacteria doesn't spread and lead to infection. Once the decay is removed, the filling is needed to prevent bacteria from entering the hole, as well as to restore the tooth's functionality.
For a worn down or broken tooth, a filling serves to protect the tooth from further damage.
How will my Greensboro, NC, dentist perform my filling?
Your dentist will begin by applying a local anesthetic to numb the teeth and gums. If you have a cavity, your dentist will use special tools to remove the decayed portion.
Next, your dentist will apply the filling. Fillings can either be made of tooth-matching composite resin or silver amalgam, a blend of metals. A composite resin filling needs to be hardened using an ultraviolet light, a step that isn't needed with silver amalgam. With either type of filling, though, your dentist will mold the filling to match the natural shape of your tooth.
Concerned about your dental health? Give us a call
You can count on Michelle H. Mottinger, DDS, in Greensboro, NC, to take care of your filling and leave you smiling. Schedule your appointment at (336) 375-1825 today!